Whole Green Moong Dal With Spinach is a healthy dish made from Lentils (Dal) & Spinach (Palak). This delicious recipe is made with onions, tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, and tempered with basic Indian spices. This whole green moong dal is one such curry which has only a few spices and is perfect for a simple lunch or dinner.
Hari sabut moong (whole green gram) is healthy, high on fiber, good for digestion, and easy to cook as well. This small, oval-shaped green bean is widely used in Indian cuisines.
Dal is excellent for healthy bones and also aids in weight loss. Dal or lentil is one such versatile ingredient that is bursting with protein and weight-loss friendly fibers. Dal is an indispensable part of Indian cuisine. It is high in protein level and also keeps the heart healthy by lowering cholesterol levels.
Dal Palak is a healthy combination of lentil and spinach. The dish is also liked by kids and is a great way to include green leafy vegetables in your diet.
Spinach is a green, leafy vegetable with a high nutritional value. You can have it raw in salads, steamed, blended in a soup or sauteed with other veggies. It is a very versatile ingredient that can be used in many ways. For me, the best way to add spinach is to cook with lentils and beans. Earlier, I shared recipe spinach with rajma and my son loved it.
Palak Dal | Whole Green Moong Dal With Spinach | Tasty Lunch Recipe With Green Gram & Spinach
Whole moong dal cooked with spinach is a healthy combination of lentil and vegetables. This is a great way to get your greens and protein in your meal. Paired with a hot steaming bowl of rice or any Indian flatbread, it is a soothing and tasty side dish for lunch or dinner.
Whole green gram ( soaked overnight ) – 1 cup
Spinach – 2 bunches
Chopped onion – 3
Chopped ginger – 2 inch
Chopped garlic – 6
Chopped green chilly- 2
Sliced tomatoes – 2
Juice of one lemon
Oil – 4 tbsp
Butter – 1 cube
Homemade Red chilli flakes for topping
Cumin – 1 tsp
Kitchen king masala – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 3 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
- Put soaked whole green gram with 2 cups of water, a pinch of salt, in a pressure cooker. Mix them well and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Remove stems from the spinach and wash thoroughly in running water. Blanch in salted boiling water for two minutes. Now transfer boiled spinach into ice-cold water to retain the green color. Squeeze out excess water and grind it into a smooth puree (Add lemon juice while grinding). Keep It aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep non-stick pan and add cumin seeds.
- Allow the seeds to crackle. Then add chopped onions and saute on a medium flame until translucent. Now add ginger, garlic, green chili, and cook for 5 minutes on the medium-low flame.
- Then add chopped tomato and cook until they’re soft. Then add red chili powder, coriander powder, kitchen king masala, salt, and cook until masala leaves oil on low flame.
- Add boiled dal in a prepared masala and cook for 5 minutes on the medium-low flame.
- Now add puree spinach and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Then add one butter cube and mix them well. Close the lid and cook dal for 2-5 minutes on high flame.
- Yummy dal is ready to serve. Serve with plain white rice.
Tasty Lunch Recipe With Green Gram & Spinach