Gajar ka Halwa also known as Gajrela is an Indian Carrot Pudding that’s prepared with ghee, carrots, milk, sugar, cardamom, and nuts. This is a Punjabi dessert that is widely popular in North India, especially during the winter months and Diwali season. This nutritious Gajrela can be enjoyed both or cold, I personally love my Gajrela hot (without nuts).
Just with a few ingredients you can make this perfect sweet dish – Gajar Ka Halwa. Traditionally, it is made with fresh red carrot, ghee, mava and lots of dry fruits. There are many different ways of preparing Gajar ka Halwa, some make it with evaporated milk while others use condensed milk. In this recipe, I used homemade khoya, made with milk powder and it’s taste delicious.
Grated Carrot – 2 cups
Ghee – 1/4 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Khoya or mawa – 1/2 cup
Chopped Dry fruits – 1/2 cup (Almonds, Cashews, Raisins, Pistachios)
Green Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
A Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Wash, peel carrot and make coarse by using food processor. It yields up to 2 cups of coarse carrots.
- Heat ghee in a deep pan and add coarse carrots. Saute on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, sugar with salt and cardamom powder. Simmer until it thickens. It takes about 10 minutes.
- Now add khoya and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat.
- Garnish with dry fruits and serve hot.