Whether you are celebrating a special occasion, having guests over for brunch, or entertaining a crowd – This cake is one of those recipes that are a must-have in your recipe box.
This Milk Vanilla Cake With Cranberry goes perfectly with a warm cup of tea or coffee. The star of this cake is – Dried Red Cranberries. Cranberries are a great way to add flavor and zing to your baking—a burst of flavor in every bite. They become colorful, ruby red gems in bread, muffins, cookies, and pancakes.
Unlike cooking, baking is more of a science that relies on the mix of certain ingredients in the right proportions to get the best results. The purpose of milk in baking is varied and may depend on what you’re baking. The purpose of milk in baking may depend on your recipe. In general, milk serves as a liquid to moisten your dry ingredients, dissolve sugar and activate the gluten and improve the texture of your baked good. Additionally, the protein in the milk improves the strength and structure of the muffin to improve the tenderness of the crumb.
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 & 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp
Dried cranberries – 1 & 1/2 cups
Milk – 1 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Refined Oil – 1/4 cup
A pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- In a bowl add dried red cranberries and mix with 1 tbsp of flour.
- Dry mixture: Shift whole wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add himalayan pink salt and keep it aside.
- Wet mixture: In a grinder add sugar, milk, oil and mix until smooth.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients. Put prepared batter into a greased pan.
- Sprinkle dried red cranberries over prepared cake batter and with help of spatula press gently.
- Tab the pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Put the pan into the preheated wok and bake it for 1 hour.
- When cake is done, allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove cake from the pan and set them on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan.
- Allow cake to cool completely before slicing.
- Baking time may vary.
- If cake batter looks dry, add 2- 4 tbsp of water or milk.
- If baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 1 hour 30 minutes. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
HOW TO BAKE THE CAKE IN KADAI (WOK)
In a heavy bottom, kadai add a cup of salt or sand. Place a steel stand in a wok. Cover and preheat the kadai on high heat for about 8 minutes. (Adding salt at the bottom ensures that the kadai doesn’t burn. Heavy bottom kadai acts as oven and ensures even cooking from all sides). I never used salt in my baking because I use a heavy bottom kadai (Prestige Brand) and I am baking for the past 2 years in the same kadai. It works perfectly fine. But, it depends on the brand, quality of the kadai.
After 8 minutes, lower the heat and put the baking tin in a kadai (wok). Cover a lid and bake bread for 60 minutes. After 60 minutes check the cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the bread is done. If batter still sticks to the knife then again bread for another 10 minutes.
Categories: Cooker Cake