Fall, autumn, sweater weather — whatever you want to call the cold, gray season leading up to Christmas, there’s one thing we can all agree on: It’s pumpkin time 🙂 When we think of pumpkins we often think of jack-o-lanterns and trick or treating. We often buy them as festive decorations for Halloween or even as the filling to our favorite pie, but there’s so much more to this beloved fruit! Pumpkins are packed with tons of essential vitamins, antioxidants and dietary fiber that can benefit our health in so many different ways. Almost every part of the pumpkin is beneficial to our health, from the skin, to the pulp, to the slimy seeds inside. There are so many different ways to incorporate pumpkin into our diet – so lets start with something sweet.
Pumpkin desserts are always autumn favorite. The golden colors and sweet flavors of pumpkin are wonderful in all kinds of autumnal dishes. Pumpkins contain about 90% water and a minimum of calories. Pumpkins are an excellent source of vitamin A and with a combination of whole wheat flour – It’s an excellent and healthy treat for autumn.
Perfectly spiced, moist, and with a hint of sweetness, this spiced pumpkin jam cake will quickly be a party favorite. Even better, it’s super easy to transport so that you can steal the show with this cake. You won’t have any leftovers :)It is spiced, moist and perfect with a cup of coffee or tea for breakfast or afternoon snack.
The pumpkin really is the star of this cake. This cake is packed with whole grains, fresh pumpkin flavor, and spiced with little cinnamon powder, cloves. In this cake recipe I used fresh homemade spiced pumpkin jam. Also this cake is made with whole wheat flour. It’s best to start substituting whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour slowly to get used to the taste and texture. Whole wheat flour is high in fiber and cakes made with whole wheat flour are more filling and healthy.
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 & 1/2 cups + 1 tsp
Pumpkin jam – 1 cup
Grated carrot – 1 cup
Milk – 1/2 cup
Greek yogurt – 1/4 cup
Oil – 1/4 cup
Baking powder – 1 & 1/2 tsp
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Roasted pumpkin seeds – 3 tbsp
A mixture of black raisins, red cranberries, dried apricot (chopped) – 3/4 cup (1/4 cup each)
A pinch of salt
- In a bowl add black raisins, red cranberries, dried apricot (chopped) and mix with 1 tsp of flour.
- Dry Ingredients – Shift whole wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder, salt. Keep it aside.
- Wet Ingredients – Mix grated carrot sugar, oil and water in a grinder until smooth.
- Mix both dry and wet mixtures. Mix them well and make a smooth batter.
- Put batter into a greased pan. Sprinkle black raisins, red cranberries, dried apricot (chopped), roasted pumpkin seeds over prepared cake batter and with help of spatula press gently.
- Tap the cake pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Put the cake pan into the preheated wok and bake it for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- You can use 3/4 cup of milk or greek yogurt.
- Baking time may vary.
- If cake batter looks dry, add 2- 4 tbsp of water or milk.
- If baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 1 hour 30 minutes. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
HOW TO BAKE THE CAKE IN KADAI (WOK)
In a heavy bottom, kadai add a cup of salt or sand. Place a steel stand in a wok. Cover and preheat the kadai on high heat for about 8 minutes. (Adding salt at the bottom ensures that the kadai doesn’t burn. Heavy bottom kadai acts as oven and ensures even cooking from all sides). I never used salt in my baking because I use a heavy bottom kadai (Prestige Brand) and I am baking for the past 2 years in the same kadai. It works perfectly fine. But, it depends on the brand, quality of the kadai.
After 8 minutes, lower the heat and put the baking tin in a kadai (wok). Cover a lid and bake bread for 60 minutes. After 60 minutes check the cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the bread is done. If batter still sticks to the knife then again bread for another 10 minutes.
Categories: Cooker Cake