Wood apple, also known as “bael” in India, has loads of health benefits. Bael fruit has other names like wood apple, elephant apple, and monkey fruit. Its sweet pulp is filled with nutritious benefits. You can make wood apple juice, wood apple chutney and also wood apple jam. Wood apple jam is very easy and with very few ingredients delicious jam is ready.
Wood Apple – 1 medium
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Juice of one lemon
- Break open the fruit and using a spoon scoop the pulp. Put wood apple pulp with 1 cup of water in a bowl and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes using your palms gather. Squish the pulp to separate the seeds and juice the pulp. Press the juice through a sieve to strain the fibers and seeds from the thick pulp. It yields around 2 cups.
- Add strained wood apple pulp in a nonstick pan and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Now add sugar and cook for another 10 minutes on low flame.
- Once jam starts to thickens switch off the flame and add lemon juice. Mix it well and cook for a minute.
- Allow jam to cool down completely. Then store in sterilized glass jar.
- Enjoy woodapple jam with hot parathas or with vanilla ice cream.
- Lift jam with a spatula and pour jam, it should flow together and not in drops.
- Pour a few drops of prepared jam on a plate if it spreads then it’s not ready if it stays firm without moving then the jam is ready.
- Allow to cool and store in sterilized glass jar.
- Keep jam in the refrigerator after every use. Use a clean and dry spoon. It last long for 4 months.