My husband doesn’t like sugar at all but today is his birthday. So “Cake toh banta hai,” and guess it’s NO SUGAR cake. Cakes are a delight of all times. Nothing beats the flavor that cakes add to the celebration. They have and would always be one of the most sought after desserts that make a perfect statement of sweetness.
Dates are mostly consumed in the middle east as part of their staple diet because of the high nutritional values. A fresh date is a drupe fruit with a fleshy outer part surrounded with a shell of hardened endocarp, consisting of seed inside. They are cylindrically oval with fleshy pericarp and varies in color, from bright red to bright yellow and brown when dried.
I love to use dates not only in baking but in making chutneys or dip, sweets. This easy, soft and delicious eggless date and nuts cake with loads of crunchy mix nuts. I bake with whole-wheat flour as much as possible. It has almost four times more fiber than all-purpose flour and provides more potassium, magnesium, and zinc.
Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
Chopped Dates – 16
Milk – ¾ cup
Grated jaggery – 1/2 cup
Refined Oil – 1/4 cup
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Mix nuts –1/4 cup
A pinch of salt
Toasted sesame seeds for topping – 1 tbsp
- Sift dry ingredients: Sieve whole wheat flour, baking soda with a pinch of salt. Mix them well.
- Wet Ingredients: Now in a grinder add chopped dates, milk, grated jaggery with oil. Grind the mixture until smooth.
- Now mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients well.
- Put prepared batter into a greased pan. Sprinkle sesame seeds over batter and with help of spatula press gently.
- Tab the pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Put the pan into the preheated pressure cooker and bake it for 1 hour.
- You can add 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- I used soft dates in my recipe (no need for soaking).
- Baking time may vary.
- If Baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 60 minutes. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use a baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( overbake ) the cake. So use pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
How To Bake In A Pressure Cooker?
- Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand. Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
- Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid. Lower the flame after 2 minutes.
- Let it bake for 60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes check cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the cake is done. If batter still sticks to knife then again bake for another 10 minutes. Do not open the lid immediately.
- Eggless pressure cake is ready.
Categories: Cooker Cake