Palak Paneer is a vegetarian dish from the Indian subcontinent, made with paneer or cottage cheese in a thick paste made with pureed spinach and seasoned with ginger, garlic, and other spices. This Tofu Spinach Recipe is exactly the same, the only difference is that I have swapped the paneer or cottage cheese with tofu.
Tofu is a good source of protein and contains all nine essential amino acids. It is also a valuable plant source of iron and calcium and the minerals manganese, selenium and phosphorous. This curry is a delicious way to add greens and tofu in your diet. The best part of this curry is – it is easy to prepare.
Tofu Spinach With Quaker Oats | Spinach Based Curry | Recipe with Oats | Protein Rich Recipe
To make this curry healthier I have added homemade oats flour. Oats are loaded with dietary fiber and have a range of healthy cholesterol-lowering properties. In this recipe, oats flour helps to makes this curry creamier and silkier.
Tofu – 200 gms
Spinach – 1 bunch
Finely chopped onion – 1 big
Finely chopped tomato – 2 big
Finely chopped garlic – 3 tbsp
Finely chopped ginger – 2 tbsp
Finely chopped green chili – 1
Homemade Oats Flour – 3 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cumin – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
Pinch of turmeric powder
Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
Chaat masala – 1 tbsp
Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Remove stems from the spinach and wash thoroughly in running water. Blanch in boiling water for two minutes. Now transfer boiled spinach into ice-cold water to retain the green color. Squeeze out excess water and grind it into a smooth puree.
- Heat oil in the same pan on low flame and add cumin. Allow it to crackle.
- Add ginger, garlic and cook for 5 minutes on the medium-low flame. Then add chopped onions, chopped green chilly, salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Sauté on a medium flame until translucent.
- Lower the heat and add coriander powder, red chili powder, chaat masala with little water and cook until masala for 5 minutes.
- Now switch off the gas and allow masala to cool down. Grind cooked masala into a fine paste and transfer grounded masala into the same pan.
- Add tofu cubes and mix gently. Cover and let it cook for minutes on low heat.
- Mix 2 tbsp of oats flour with 1/4 cup of water. Make a smooth paste.
- Now add puree spinach with oats flour paste. Mix well and let it cook for 8 minutes on low heat.
- Switch off the heat and serve with rice or paratha.