Got a ripe banana or two sitting around? You’re in luck. Ripe and overripe bananas are a superhero. Because overripe bananas provide plenty of sweetness, you can get by with adding much less sugar.
This bread is super moist made with whole wheat flour, oats flour, ripe bananas, mix with healthy chopped pecans, walnuts, dried red cranberries and topping with sesame, and flax seeds in every bite. The darker, softer, and blacker the better. Super-ripe bananas are easier to mash so you can get a nice uniform texture. The banana puree blends in with the other ingredients and bakes a perfect bread.
I bake with whole-wheat flour as much as possible. It has almost four times more fiber than all-purpose flour and provides more potassium, magnesium, and zinc. Baking is a science-not all baked goods are ideal candidates for whole-wheat, but if you experiment, you’ll find many recipes just as delicious with whole-wheat flour. I have been baking from the last 10 years with whole wheat flour. Each time results are awesome and delicious.
Oats are among the healthiest grains on earth. They’re a gluten-free whole grain and a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. A simple yet satisfying eggless chocolate brownie that makes a healthy breakfast or snack option or can be served with tea. Earlier, I baked Nutty Oats Chocolate Cake with the combination of whole wheat and oat flour on my birthday. It turned out super moist and tasty. You can replace oats flour with whole wheat or all-purpose flour in baking.
Oats Whole Wheat Banana Bread | Baking in Kadai (Wok) | Best Use of Overripe Bananas
So next time, don’t even think about tossing out those overripe bananas. Just bake this wholesome banana bread and enjoy in breakfast or lunch or with evening tea.
Ripe Bananas – 3 (medium size)
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup
Oats Flour – 1/2 cup
Refined Oil – 1/4 cup
Brown sugar – 1/4 cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
Chopped walnuts & pecans, dried cranberries (1/4 cup each)
Sesame , flax seeds, chopped walnuts & pecans, dried red cranberries (3 tbsp each) for toppings
A pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- Grease baking pan with little oil and flour OR line baking tin with butter paper.
- Dry Ingredients – Sieve whole wheat flour, oats flour, baking soda, baking powder, himalayan pink salt directly in the bowl. Add cinnamon powder and mix it well. Keep it aside.
- Wet Ingredients – In a mixer add bananas, brown sugar, oil and grind it into a smooth paste.
- Now mix chopped walnuts, pecans and dried cranberries with dry ingredients.
- Now mix wet and dry ingredients. Put the prepared batter into a greased pan. Sprinkle topping over batter and with help of spatula or spoon press nuts gently.
- Tab the pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Put the pan into the preheated kadai (wok) and bake it for 1 hour.
- When bread is done, allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove bread from the pan and set them on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan.
- Allow bread to cool completely before slicing and enjoy.
- Adjust brown sugar according to your taste.
- Baking time may vary.
- If bread batter looks dry, add 2- 4 tbsp of milk.
- If baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 1 hour. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
HOW TO BAKE THE CAKE IN KADAI (wok)
In a heavy bottom kadai add a cup of salt or sand. Place a steel stand in a wok. Cover and preheat the kadai on high heat for about 8 minutes. (Adding salt at the bottom ensures that the kadai doesn’t burn. Heavy bottom kadai acts as oven and ensures even cooking from all sides). I never used salt in my baking because I use a heavy bottom kadai (Prestige Brand) and I am baking for the past 2 years in the same kadai. It works perfectly fine. But, it depends on the brand, quality of the kadai.
After 8 minutes, lower the heat and put baking tin in a kadai. Cover a lid and bake bread for 60 minutes. After 60 minutes check cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the bread is done. If batter still sticks to knife then again bread for another 10 minutes