Besan Dhokla is one my favorite breakfast. Dhokla is a Gujarati recipe made using besan, baking soda or Eno, and tempered with curry leaves. This vegetarian snack is an ideal dish for occasions like kitty parties, family get together or picnic. It is protein-rich, healthy and very easy to make with very few ingredients.
Besan Dhokla | Steamed Gram flour Savory Cake | My Favorite Breakfast
Dhokla is not only tasty but is healthy and nutritious too as it made by steaming instead of frying. Also Besan (Gram Flour) which is its main ingredient, has fewer calories and more proteins as compared to wheat flour. Dhokla is very easy to make and can be enjoyed as a snack at any time of the day. It is also a great option for a light and healthy breakfast.
Besan – 1 cup
Curd – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1/2 tsp
Eno or Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Juice of one lemon
Salt to taste
Black mustard seeds or Rai – 1/2 tsp
White sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 8
Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Water – 1 & 1/4 cup
Green chili – 2
Juice of one lemon
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Mix all ingredients mentioned under dhokla except Eno. Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Keep 2 cups of water in a deep kadhai and put a stand in it. Cover it and let it boil for 5 minutes. Now add Eno in a dhokla batter and pour 1 tsp of lemon juice over it. Mix it well.
- Pour Dhokla batter into greased pan and steam for 15-20 minutes. Check with a toothpick if it cum out clean then it’s done. Allow dhokla to cool completely.
- For Tempering: Heat oil in a small pan, first add the mustard seeds. Let them pop first. Now add chopped chilies and then white sesame seeds and curry leaves.
- In bowl mix water, sugar and add this mixture to tempering and boil for a minute.
- Then switch off the flame and add lemon juice. Mix it well.
- Then pour this hot mixture over steamed besan dhokla and cut into the desired shape.