Watermelons are a great summer fruit. They contain around 92% percent water and loads of essential nutrients. My favorite fruit is watermelon because of its juicy, rich taste. Watermelon is not only yummy, but it also benefits your health in many ways. But, watermelon rind that ends up in our dustbin is actually quite nutritious and good for health, and is also good in taste.
Make this watermelon rind chutney once and you will never throw away watermelon rinds. A simple recipe with a handful of ingredients, super easy to make and healthy too. Watermelon rind puree flavor with panch phoran, some spices and for sweetness I used jaggery to make it more healthy. By adding jaggery this chutney becomes healthier. The benefits of jaggery include its ability to cleanse your body, sweeten your food in a healthy manner, and provide good amounts of minerals.
Watermelon Rind Chutney | Sweet & Sour Dip | No Sugar Chutney
Panch phoran is a mix of whole spices. Panch Phoron (also called panch phoran or panch phoron) literally means “five spices.” It is a spice blend commonly used in Eastern India and Bangladesh and consists of the following seeds: Cumin, Brown Mustard, Fenugreek, Nigella and Fennel. Quick and easy to assemble, you simply measure out and combine the five different spice seeds. Keep the Panch Phoron spice blend in an airtight jar and it will keep for many months.
Watermelon Rind ( one small size )
Grated Jaggery – 1 cup
Oil – 1 tbsp
Panch Phoron – 1 tbsp
Juice of half lemon
Roasted cumin powder – 1 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Black salt – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Remove pink flesh from watermelon; reserve for another use. Carefully remove and discard green skin from the white rind.
- Chop white rind into small pieces.
- Add chopped watermelon rind in a grinder and make a smooth puree. It yields 2 cups of puree.
- Heat a saucepan and heat oil. Add panch phoron and allow them to crack.
- Then add watermelon rind puree and mix well.
- Add all spices and mix well. Cover the saucepan and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- After 10 minutes add grated jaggery. Cook the chutney on low flame till to right and little thick consistency on low flame.
- Switch off the gas and add lemon juice. Mix it well.
- Keep aside prepared chutney to cool down completely and then store in a glass jar.
- This stays good in the fridge for 2 weeks.
- You can have the consistency of the sweet chutney as per your choice. Simply alter the amount of water and make the chutney thin or thick as per your requirements.
- Adjust the amount of jaggery according to your taste.
- Don’t overcook chutney. It will be thick when cools down.