Christmas is one of the most joyous festivals of the year, awaited by everyone, including children and grown-ups. The glittery decoration, gifts, cakes, delicious meals, Christmas carols, everything about the festival is just splendid. But above all it’s about the love, laughter and the precious time spent with the family and the loved ones.
I wish you a joy-filled Christmas season. May your holidays be spent in good cheer and unforgettable moments. Have a great time this Christmas.
So, celebrate this year Christmas make this super delicious and healthy SWEET POTATO CAKE. This cake uses a highly effective quick fruit soaking method by soaking them in hot water for just 1 hour. It works 100% perfectly :).
Sweet Potatoes are a superfood. They are an excellent source of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene). They are also a good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B6. Additionally, they are a good source of potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, and phosphorus.
Sweet potatoes add texture, moisture and can often be used to help reduce the overall fat content. The sweet potato was a fabulous substitution for any butter or excessive oil.
I used steamed potatoes in this recipe. Steaming softens vegetables while maintaining most of their nutrients, especially water-soluble compounds.
Sweet Potato No Sugar Christmas Cake | Healthy Wholesome Festive Treat
For sweetness, I used Dates, Golden Raisins, Dried Red Cranberries, Dried Apricots, and Dark Raisins in it which are the healthier sugar substitute. For all the sweet tooth, it’s undeniably a pleasurable treat. But what about you, health. Anything sweet is a sin. You refrain from changing for another bite lest you should gain weight, your strict regime has almost everything delicious struck out of your dictionary. I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour to make it healthier.
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 & 1/2 cups
Greek yogurt – 1/2 cup
Warm water – 1/2 cup
Refined Oil – 1/4 cup
Mixed raisins – Dates, Golden Raisins, Dried Red Cranberries, Dried Apricots, and Dark Raisins (1/8 cup each )
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Chopped walnuts & sliced almonds – 1/4 cup
Steamed sweet potatoes – 2 small (3/4 cup)
- In a bowl add Dates, Golden Raisins, Dried Red Cranberries, Dried Apricots, and Dark Raisins with 1 cup of hot water. Keep it aside for half an hour (covered). After half an hour drain water. Then toss them with 2 tbsp of whole wheat flour. Keep it aside.
- Steam sweet potatoes and mash sweet potatoes. Keep them aside.
- Dry Ingredients – Sieve whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder directly in the bowl.
- Wet Ingredients – In a mixer add mashed sweet potatoes, oil with greek yogurt and warm water. Grind them into a smooth paste.
- Now mix wet and dry ingredients well. Put the batter into a greased pan. Sprinkle chopped walnuts and sliced almonds over batter and with help of spatula press nuts gently.
- Tab the pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Put the pan into the preheated pressure cooker and bake it for 1 hour.
- When the cake is done, allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and set them on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing and enjoy.
- Baking time may vary.
- If cake batter looks dry, add 2- 4 tbsp of milk.
- If baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 1 hour. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use the baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( overbake ) the cake. So use pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
How to Bake In A Pressure Cooker?
- Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes. Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand.
- Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
- Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid.
- Lower the flame after 2 minutes. Let it bake for 50 -60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes check cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the cake is done.
- If batter still sticks to knife then again bake for another 10 minutes. Do not open the lid immediately.
- Eggless Pressure Cooker Cake is ready.
Categories: Cooker Cake