Friendship Day is celebrated on the first Sunday of August in India and falls on August 2 this year, it is the day people come together with their friends to celebrate with each other. No matter how old or young we are, friends are what keep us going. They are always around to lighten the mood when tensions are high or as an emotional sounding board when we need to rant about our life’s misgivings. One can always count on one’s friends, no matter what. And the biggest privilege in life is being the same for someone else. I am lucky to have the best buddies in my life. Love you all.
This year, amid the coronavirus pandemic, meeting your friends may not be possible – but the good news is that friendship does not depend on how often you meet. Friendship is being there for your friends, even if it is from a distance. What better way to express your emotional bond for your friends than by treating them to the warmest and comforting present of all – a nice self-made cake. The cake is often classified as ‘comfort food’, which means it gives a sense of comfort.
Summer Sunshine Tea Time Treat | Custard Powder Cake
A golden sunshine color, soft and spongy cake recipe made with custard powder. It is perfect served with a warm cup of tea or coffee.
Custard powder is mainly used to make dessert recipe like fruit custard. Most common recipe is fruit custard which is made with milk to form a thick sauce to top with fruits. I also make custard rice kheer with custard powder and it tastes delicious. I usually use custard powder in my cake recipes to give a nice yellow color. Some cake recipes with custard powder – Malai custard cake, Pumpkin cake and I always use custard powder in my most favorite cake – Orange cake.
Custard powder not only adds good aroma in baking it also makes them more delicious, and it gives beautiful golden yellow color after baking. This custard powder cake have perfect golden color with perfect texture that melts into your mouth and its eggless, butterless too.Ingredients
Flour – 3/4 cup ( I used 50-50 Whole wheat flour and All purpose flour)
Vanilla flavored custard powder – 90 ml ( 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup )
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp
White Sugar – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1/4 cup
Milk – 3/4 cup
Colorful sugar sprinkles – 1/4 cup ( I use sprinkles after baking)
A pinch of salt
- Dry ingredients : Sieve flour, baking powder and salt. Keep it aside.
- Wet ingredients : Now add sugar, oil, milk and custard powder in a grinder and make a smooth batter.
- Mix both dry and wet ingredients. Put prepared batter into a greased baking pan. Tab the cake pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Put the cake pan into the preheated pressure cooker and bake it for 1 hour.
- Don’t over mix the prepared batter.
- Don’t demould quickly allow it to cool down completely.
- Baking time may vary.
- If cake batter looks dry, add 2- 4 tbsp of milk.
- If baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 1 hour. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use the baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( overbake ) the cake. So use a pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
How to Bake In A Pressure Cooker?
- Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes. Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand.
- Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
- Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid.
- Lower the flame after 2 minutes. Let it bake for 50 -60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes check the cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the cake is done.
- If batter still sticks to knife then again bake for another 10 minutes. Do not open the lid immediately.
- Eggless Pressure Cooker Cake is ready.
Categories: Cooker Cake