This Tofu Matar Masala recipe is a take on the classic and very popular North Indian dish – Matar Paneer. Matar Paneer Gravy one of the popular paneer recipes from Punjab. The combination of peas and soft paneer (cottage cheese) in mildly spicy tomato gravy is a perfect lunch or dinner recipe. It can be served with roti or plain paratha or hot poori.
For this recipe, I replaced the paneer with tofu and it tastes delicious. This recipe has a lot of spices, there is coriander powder, roasted cumin powder, turmeric, cumin seeds, chili powder, and some red chili flakes. The only change I made while making curry is the addition of little greek yogurt (Whisk the yogurt thoroughly before you add it to the curry). Yogurt makes curry richer in flavor and it mild the hotness of spices.
Tofu, also known as bean curd, is a food prepared by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into soft white blocks. It is a component in East Asian and Southeast Asian cuisines. Tofu can be soft, firm, or extra firm. It has a subtle flavor and can be used in savory and sweet dishes. It is a good source of protein and contains all nine essential amino acids. It is also an excellent source of iron and calcium and the minerals manganese, selenium, and phosphorous.
Tofu Matar Masala | Tofu Peas Yogurt Curry | Lunch Recipe
I just love the combination of tofu, peas, and yogurt in this curry. This recipe is hearty, creamy, delicious, fresh, super easy, rich, versatile, mouthwatering, and kids approved as well. My son Reyansh always enjoy this curry with plain paratha.
Extra firm Tofu in Cubes – 200 gms
Frozen Peas – 1 cup
Greek yogurt – 1/4 cup
Finely chopped onion – 2 medium
Tomato puree – 2 large
Finely chopped garlic – 4
Finely chopped ginger – 1 inch
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Ghee or oil – 3 tbsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Sabzi masala – 1 tsp
Few finely chopped coriander leaves
Dry red chilli flakes – 1 tbsp
Dried powder of coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
Finely chopped green chili – 1
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add chopped onion and saute until translucent. Then add ginger, garlic and cook for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Lower the flame and add yogurt. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Then add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, turmeric, sabzi masala, red chili powder, green chilli and salt. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add tofu and peas. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 6 minutes with 1 cup of water, while stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with dry red chilli flakes, dried powder of coriander leaves Serve hot garnished with coriander with rice or plain paratha or hot poori.