Creamy, sweet, and slightly spicy red kidney bean curry served with perfectly cooked rice. Yes, its Rajma Chawal but this rajma curry is made with white kidney beans or cannellini beans.
Cannellini beans also known as white kidney beans are full of protein and taste really great. They are available ready boiled in tins as well as dried beans which need to be soaked in cold water before cooking. The best way to boil them is in a pressure cooker as it is quicker. I have always been very fond of any kind of beans such as the dark kidney beans, soybeans and love them best cooked as a curry with a slightly sweet and sour taste.
Cook with few basic ingredients were tossed along with the beans that were soaked overnight, into the pressure cooker and a beautiful curry happened just like that. Simple, delicious and nutritious :).
White Rajma Curry | Delicious Lunch Recipe | White Kidney Beans or Cannellini Beans Curry
Creamy, and full of protein and fibre, this white bean curry is a comfort weekend meal. It is amazing how easy it is to whip up this simple and satisfying bowl of goodness.
White Rajma ( soaked overnight ) – 2 cups
Onion – 2
Chopped ginger – 2 inch
Chopped garlic – 6
Chopped green chilly- 2
Tomato puree– 2
One stick of cinnamon
Black cardamom – 1
Oil – 4 tbsp
Kasuri methi – 1 tbsp
Dry coriander leaves powder – 1 tbsp or few chopped fresh coriander leaves
Cumin powder– 1 tsp
Chaat masala – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Amchur masala – 1 tsp
Rajma masala- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Put soaked Rajma with 2 cups of water, a pinch of salt in a pressure cooker. Mix them well and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Check to see the Rajmas are cooked. Take one between your fingers and if you press it, it should squish. Keep them aside.
- Make a puree of onion, ginger, garlic and green chili.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep non-stick pan and add cinnamon and black cardamom. Saute them for 15 seconds.
- Allow to the seeds to crackle. Then add onion, ginger, garlic and green chili puree and saute on a medium flame for 10 minutes on the medium-low flame.
- Add all spices (mentioned above ) with kasuri methi, little water and cook or 1 minute.
- Then add tomato puree and cook until masala leaves oil on low flame.
- After masala is prepared add boiled rajma with water and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Garnish with dry coriander leaves powder and serve hot.