Palak Matar Paneer is a quick and easy lunch or dinner recipe made with spinach, cottage cheese (paneer), fresh green peas (matar). Palak matar paneer served with hot chapati or plain rice is a divine combination.
Palak Matar Paneer – Green Vegetable Curry
Cubed Fresh Paneer – 200 gms
Spinach – 2 bunches
Fresh Peas – 3/4 cup
Finely chopped onion – 1 big
Finely chopped tomato – 2 big
Finely chopped garlic – 2 tbsp
Finely chopped ginger – 1 inch
Finely chopped green chili – 1
Maize flour – 3 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Cumin – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Juice of half lemon
Salt to taste
- Boil peas with 1 cup of water on medium-high flame for 5 minutes. Then drain and keep them aside.
- Remove stems from the spinach and wash thoroughly in running water. Blanch in salted boiling water for two minutes. Now transfer boiled spinach into ice-cold water to retain the green color. Squeeze out excess water and grind it into a smooth puree.
- Now heat 1/2 tbsp of ghee in a nonstick pan and lightly fry the paneer pieces till they turn sightly golden. Transfer them to a plate.
- Now in the same pan add 1/2 tbsp of ghee and add boiled peas and saute them for 2-3 minutes on low flame. Transfer them to a plate.
- Heat oil in the same pan on low flame and add cumin. Allow it to crackle.
- Then add chopped onions and sauté on a medium flame until translucent. Now add ginger, garlic, green chili and cook for 5 minutes on the medium-low flame.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder with tomato puree and cook until masala leaves oil.
- At this stage add maize flour and stir constantly to roast.
- Now add puree spinach, saute paneer, peas, lemon juice and salt into the cooked masala. Mix well.
- Now add 1 cup water and cook on low flame for 10 to 12 minutes. Do stir the sabzi after every 1 to 2 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add ghee. Stir it once.
- Serve hot with paratha or chapati.