Poha is my one the favorite breakfast. It is a wholesome meal and ready within 15 minutes. It is a good source of carbohydrates and iron, rich in fiber, a good source of antioxidants and essential vitamins and is gluten-free.
Beaten rice or flattened rice flakes are used to make Poha, a very popular breakfast or tea time snack food all over India. Raw rice is flattened into dry flakes, and when liquid is added to the flakes, they swell and soften up.
Red Rice Poha or Brown Poha is a healthy and delicious breakfast option made using red poha. Red Rice Poha or Bown Poha is flattened rice made with red rice or brown rice. It has high nutrition value and it’s easy to digest. Brown or Red poha are healthier than white poha even though the cooking time is longer for these varieties. Red poha contain more dietary fiber than white poha which has the husk and germ layer removed.
In this poha recipe, I used these two ingredients – Spinach and raisins. Spinach is a superfood comprising of vitamins B, C and E, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids all of which are required for healthy hair growth. Whereas, raisins are packed with energy and rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. This poha recipe is a delicious way to add spinach to your diet.
Spinach Red Poha – Breakfast Recipe
Red poha – 1 cup
Finely chopped onion – 2
Chopped spinach – 2 cups
Golden & brown raisins – 1/8 cup each
Finely chopped green chilly – 1
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Pav bhaji masala – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Put red poha in a colander and wash twice. Leave red poha in a colander to drain out completely.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Add mustard seeds, fennel seeds, onions and cook until onions are translucent.
- Now chopped spinach with a little salt. Mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- After 5 minutes add salt, pav bhaji masala, chopped green chilies. Cook for 5 minutes on high flame.
- Lower the flame and add soaked red poha. Mix it well and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Add lemon juice and raisins.
- Mix them well and cover the lid. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes open the lid and served hot poha with tea.