Pumpkin cake is the perfect dessert for fall. It is spiced, moist and perfect with a cup of coffee or tea for breakfast or afternoon snack. This cake is packed with whole grains, fresh pumpkin flavor, and spiced with little cinnamon powder.
Adding whole wheat flour in baking is a healthy alternative. It’s best to start substituting whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour slowly to get used to the taste and texture. Whole wheat flour is high in fiber and cakes made with whole wheat flour are more filling and healthy.
Pumpkin desserts are always autumn favorite. The golden colors and sweet flavors of pumpkin are wonderful in all kinds of autumnal dishes. Pumpkins contain about 90% water and a minimum of calories. Pumpkins are an excellent source of vitamin A and with a combination of whole wheat flour – It’s an excellent and healthy treat for autumn.
Egg less Whole Wheat Pumpkin Raisins Cake
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 & 1/2 cups
Boiled pumpkin puree – 1 cup
Powdered white sugar – 3/4 cup
Oil – 1/4 cup
Water or Buttermilk or Milk – 1/4 cup
Baking powder – 1 & 1/2 tsp
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Vanilla custard powder – 1 tbsp
Roasted pumpkin seeds – 3 tbsp
A mixture of golden raisins, black raisins, dried blueberries, dried apricot – 1 cup (1/4 cup each)
Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
A pinch of salt
- In a bowl add golden raisins, black raisins, dried blueberries, dried apricot (chopped) and 1 cup of hot water. Keep it aside for 15 minutes (covered). Then drain water and spread on a kitchen towel.
- Let it dry for 10 minutes and toss with 2 tbsp of whole wheat flour. Keep it aside.
- Wash and peel pumpkin. Cut into cubes (200 gms) and boil in a pressure cooker with 1/4 cup of water.
- Make a smooth puree of boiled pumpkin cubes. It yields 1 cup of pumpkin puree.
- Dry Ingredients – Sieve whole wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder, cinnamon powder, custard powder, salt together. Keep it aside.
- Wet Ingredients – Mix sugar, oil, and water in a grinder until smooth.
- Mix both dry and wet mixtures. Mix them well and make a smooth batter.
- Put batter into a greased pan. Sprinkle roasted pumpkin seeds over prepared cake batter and with help of spatula press gently.
- Tap the cake pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Put the cake pan into the preheated pressure cooker and bake it for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Adjust sugar according to your taste.
- You can also use brown sugar instead of white sugar.
- Baking time may vary.
- If cake batter looks dry, add 2- 4 tbsp of water or milk.
- If baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 1 hour 30 minutes. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use the baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( overbake ) the cake. So use pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
How to Bake In A Pressure Cooker?
- Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes. Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand.
- Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
- Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid.
- Lower the flame after 2 minutes. Let it bake for 50 -60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes check cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the cake is done.
- If batter still sticks to knife then again bake for another 10 minutes. Do not open the lid immediately.
- Eggless Pressure Cooker Cake is ready.
Categories: Cooker Cake