This easy and delicious raspberry jam recipe has an intense flavor that requires no pectin. Store bought jams are made with the addition of pectin for thickening, but this jam can be made with just fresh fruit, sugar and lemon juice. Instead of store brought pectin, I used natural pectin. Pectin is a naturally occurring substance found in berries, apples and other fruit. When heated together with sugar, it causes a thickening that is characteristic of jams and jellies.
Apples are an excellent source of pectin. Apples contain a particularly high amount of pectin which helps jam to set. Pectin is available in the skin and pulp of fresh apples. Granny Smiths (Green apples) have more pectin than red apple.
The color of this tasty jam is a very vibrant red color – Thanks to fresh raspberries. The vibrant red-colored, exquisite and delicate raspberry is a powerhouse of innumerable health benefits. The fruit which is a rich source of nutrients, minerals, and vitamins, when included in your daily diet can help lower risk of cancer, repair skin tissues, aids in cell regeneration of the skin, bones, ligaments and blood vessels.
Raspberry Jam – Homemade Jam Recipe
Raspberry – 250 gms
Granny Smiths Apple – 1
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Juice of one lemon
- Cut apple into small pieces (with skin) and put pieces into a blender. Make a smooth puree.
- Transfer apple puree in a non-stick deep pan and cook it for 5 minutes on low medium flame stirring continuously.
- Now add raspberry with sugar in a saucepan. Let it boiled over medium heat until thick.
- Once jam starts to thickens switch off the flame.
- Allow jam to cool down. Then add lemon juice and mix well.
- Store jam in a clean and dry glass jar. Enjoy ….
- Lift jam with a spatula and pour jam, it should flow together and not in drops.
- Pour a few drops of prepared jam on a plate if it spreads then it’s not ready if it stays firm without moving then the jam is ready.
- Allow jam to cool completely. Then store in a clean and dry glass jar.
- Keep jam in the refrigerator after every use. Use a clean and dry spoon. It last long for 1 month.
- You can replace the red apple with a green apple.