In India, chai is more than just a cup of tea to start the day. Especially, in winter, starting your day with chai is a blissful experience. We have different types of chai staring from masala chai, ginger tea, cardamom chai, and to sweeten tea generally sugar is used but in gur wali chai jaggery is used instead of sugar.
Jaggery is a kind of unrefined sugar. Raw, concentrated sugarcane juice is boiled until it becomes solid and can be formed into blocks. It has the slight bitterness of molasses and the richness of caramel. It is also a good source of magnesium, potassium, iron, selenium & also contains a moderate amount of calcium, phosphorus & zinc, it also helps in the purification of blood.
A healthier alternative to white refined sugar, jaggery can be used in many Indian desserts leaving a distinct flavor. In Winters, it keeps the body warm, helps treat cold, cough and controls the temperature of the body. You can use jaggery in many recipes like chutney, cakes, a sweet recipe like halwa – Dates Jaggery Dip, Masala Jaggery, Raw Green Mango Chutney, Lapsi, Sooji Gur Ka Halwa, Whole Wheat Halwa With Jaggery, Whole Wheat Jaggery Cake, Amchur Jaggery Chutney, Whole Wheat Date Jaggery Walnut Cake, Eggless Whole Wheat Jaggery Fruit Cake, Woodapple Chutney, Apple Jaggery Chutney, Kiwi Grapes Chutney, Raw Green Mango Lauji, Grapes Dates Chutney.
Gur wali chai is healthier compared to tea made of sugar and roasted fennel powder gives perfect flavor. You will love it if you are a Tea Lover like ME – I LOVE CHAI.
Gur Wali Chai
For 2 Cups
Water – 1 & 1/2 cups
Milk – 3/4 cup
Tea powder – 1 tsp
Roasted fennel powder – 1/2 tsp
Grated ginger – 1/2 inch
Crushed Black pepper powder – 2
Crushed jaggery – 1 medium piece or 4 tbsp
- Heat water in a saucepan and allow it to boil.
- Add tea powder, roasted fennel powder, crushed black pepper with ginger. Boil it for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add milk and simmer for 3 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Add crushed jaggery and mix well. Filter prepared chai into cups.
- Gur wali chai is ready to serve.
- Adjust jaggery according to your taste.
- Don’t add jaggery while boiling otherwise chai or tea may curdle. The acidity in the jaggery will curdle chai.