Nutritionally, Spring Green Onions have a combination of the benefits of onions and greens. They are an excellent source of vitamin K and vitamin C, and a very good source of vitamin A too. Spring onions can be added to dal and make it a much tastier dish. Earlier, I posted spring green onion recipes – Spring onion kadhi and spring onion with mushroom.
This time I tried Bhurji recipe with spring onions and spinach. This green leafy vegetable is made up of 92% water, making it especially beneficial in keeping you hydrated. Spinach is also rich in magnesium, potassium, and B-vitamins, all of which are known to increase energy.
Bhurji is pan-fried Indian vegetable recipe which can be served as side dish. It is made with spring green onion, spinach or palak, saute with onions, garlic, ginger, green chilly. It just takes about 30 minutes to make and taste delicious with roti or plain paratha.
Spring Onion Spinach Sabzi
Washed, cleaned, Spinach – 500 gms
Spring Onions (chopped) – 250 gms
Sliced onion – 1 big
Finely chopped coriander – 1/4 cup
Finely chopped green chilly – 1
Finely chopped ginger – 1 inch
Finely chopped garlic – 3
Sabzi masala – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Tofu – half inch
- Chop the spinach and spring onions. Keep it aside.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan, allow to heat oil on the medium-high flame. When it reaches its smoking point lower the gas flame.
- Add sliced onions and saute until translucent. Now add chopped garlic and ginger.
- Add coriander powder, sabzi masala, chopped chilly and salt. Mix it well
- Now add chopped green spring onions and spinach leaves. Mix everything well and simmer vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Cook till water evaporates (Spinach leaves are high water contain vegetable).
- Keep stirring the sabzi at regular intervals. Garnish with grated tofu and serve hot.
- No need to add water as palak contains more moisture.