This Diwali try is halwa with a healthy twist. Beetroot rava halwa is a delicious dessert made with sooji or rava and beetroot. Beetroot or chukandar in Hindi is one of the wonderful vegetables which have lots of benefits.
Beetroot is one my favorite vegetable and I never missed any chance to add beetroot to my recipes. They are rich in nutrients that help to boost your immune system and can produce new blood cells.
I have used beetroot in a cake, dhokla, jam, and each time beetroot brings on a lovely pink color is a treat for eyes – Beetroot carrot cake, Beetroot Carrot Halwa, Carrot Beetroot Halwa with Dates, Chukandar Anar Dhokla, Beetroot Apple Jam, Vegan Beetroot Choco Nuts Cake, Boondi Ke Laddoo, Masala Kaju Namakpare, Rooh Afza Gulkand Rava Cake.
This time I wanted to try a healthy dessert recipe with sooji or rava and it turned out delicious.
Beetroot Rava Pudding -Chukandar Sooji Ka Halwa – Diwali Dessert Recipe
Sooji or Semolina – 1 cup
Beetroot – 1 medium size
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Water – 2 cups
Ghee – 5 tbsp + 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Fennel seeds – 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
A pinch of salt
Chopped pistachios – 1/2 cup
- Boil medium size beetroot in a pressure cooker and then peel the boiled beetroot. Cut boiled beetroot into small cubes and grind with 1/4 cup of water.
- Make a smooth puree. It yields 1 cup of beetroot puree.
- Heat 5 tbsp of ghee in a deep non-stick kadai and roast sooji till the color turns brown.
- Boil 1 cup of water in another pan and add boiled beetroot puree, a pinch of salt. Boil water until sugar dissolves completely.
- Mix it quickly in roasted sooji mixture and make sure there are no lumps.
- Cook for another minute on low flame, stirring continuously.
- Keep on stirring until the whole mixture starts thickening and starts to leave the edge of the kadai.
- Add fennel seeds, cardamom powder, salt, remaining 1 tbsp of ghee and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios and serve hot.
- Adjust sugar according to your taste.