Strawberry jam is an easy, pectin-free homemade jam recipe. Strawberries are naturally rich in pectin, there’s no need to add pectin. Pectin is a naturally occurring substance that makes jellies gel and gives jams their spread consistency.
This recipe makes a thick, chunky soft jam that easily spread over pancakes or ice cream or on toasted bread. It is so simple and is a great way to use up a few pounds of strawberries.
Homemade Strawberry Jam
Fresh strawberry – 400 gms (3 cups of chopped strawberry)
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Juice of half lemon
- Wash and chop strawberry into small pieces. In a heavy bottom, pan add chopped strawberry and sugar.
- Stir over medium flame until the sugar is dissolved. Let it boiled over medium heat until thick.
- Once jam starts to thickens switch off the flame.
- Allow jam to cool down. Then add lemon juice and mix well.
- Store Strawberry Jam in a clean and dry glass jar.
- Lift jam with a spatula and pour jam, it should flow together and not in drops.
- Pour a few drops of prepared jam on a plate if it spreads then it’s not ready if it stays firm without moving then the jam is ready.
- Allow jam to cool completely. Then store in a clean and dry glass jar.
- Keep jam in the refrigerator after every use. Use a clean and dry spoon. It last long for 3 months.