Broccoli Tofu Cashew Curry is a delicious creamy curry made with tomatoes and onions. Cashews add a velvety richness to this flavorful Curry. It just takes about 30 minutes to make and taste delicious with plain rice or roti or plain paratha.
Tofu, also known as bean curd, is a food prepared by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into soft white blocks. It is a component in East Asian and Southeast Asian cuisines. Tofu can be soft, firm, or extra firm. It has a subtle flavor and can be used in savory and sweet dishes.
Tofu is a good source of protein and contains all nine essential amino acids. It is also an excellent source of iron and calcium and the minerals manganese, selenium and phosphorous.
Broccoli is one of those vegetables which is rarely used in Indian cuisine. This Indian style cashew curry is the best way to add broccoli to your diet.
Broccoli is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin C, chromium and folate. It is a very good source of dietary fiber, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin E, manganese, phosphorus, choline, vitamin B1, vitamin A.
Broccoli Tofu Cashew Curry
Broccoli ( florets separated) – 1 big
Cashews (soaked in water for 20 minutes) – 5
Tofu * – 200 gms
Roughly chopped onion – 2 large
Roughly chopped tomato – 3 large
Roughly chopped garlic – 4
Roughly chopped ginger – 1 inch
Finely chopped green chilly- 2
Olive oil – 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Finely chopped coriander – 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Whole Garam Masalas:
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
Clove – 3
Black cardamom- 1
Black pepper- 3
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan and roast tofu till crisp and little golden brown. Keep them aside. Allow it to cool down and cut into cubes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the broccoli florets, separate it from the stalk and boil it for 5 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a deep non-stick deep pan and whole garam masalas. Saute for 15 seconds.
- Add onion and saute until translucent. Then add ginger, garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, green chilly, and salt. Then add tomato, soaked cashews and cook mixture until becoming soft.
- Let the mixture cool down and then make a smooth paste. Now sieve masala and again put in the same pan.
- Stir well and cook until gravy starts leaving oil from corners.
- Now add boiled broccoli, roasted tofu cubes and stir well. Let it cook for a minute and then add 1 cup of boiled water, boil for 6 minutes on medium flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with plain parathas.
Tofu prep before roasting:
- First, drain excess water and wrap tofu with an absorbent cloth.
- Place warped tofu on a flat surface put a plate on top of it and put some weight ( a water-filled jug or a bowl) on top of the plate.
- Let the tofu weight down and compress for at least for 1 hour.