Kundru Kala Channa Curry is an amazing combo of vegetable and lentils – Kundru and Kala Channa, both are my favorites.
Kundru is a green vegetable also called tindora or ivy gourd. It is a great source of soluble fiber and is also rich in Vitamin A and C. Whereas, Kala Channa is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber, chickpeas may offer a variety of health benefits, such as improving digestion, aiding weight management and reducing the risk of several diseases.
I have already shared Kundru Garlic Sabji and Kundru Aloo Ki Sabzi (Ivy gourd Potato Dry Vegetable) recipes. This kundru kala channa curry is tasty and delicious curry which taste best with steamed white rice.
Tindora Black Chickpea Masala Curry
Kundru – 250 gms
Kala Channa – 250 gms
Finely chopped onion – 2
Finely chopped ginger – 1/2 inch
Finely chopped garlic – 6
Finely chopped green chilly- 2
Puree of tomato – 2
Cumin – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Sabzi masala – 1 tsp
Mustard oil – 3 tbsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- Wash and soaked kala channa with enough water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Boil channa in a pressure cooker with little salt and 2 cups of water. Pressure cook daal for 2 whistles and allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep it aside.
- Chopped kundru in a round shape. Now take kundru with 1 cup of water in a deep saucepan.
- Cook kundru on medium heat for 8 minutes. Don’t overcook as then it will mushy.
- Once done, strain and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan and add cumin, mustard seeds.
- Allow them to crackle, add the onions and saute on a medium flame until translucent. Now add ginger, garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes puree, coriander powder, turmeric, sabzi masala. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the boiled kala channa, kundru with garam masala and water ( in which kala channa is boiled)
- Mix them well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Garnished with chopped coriander leaves and serve with steam rice.