Think of a healthy and quick Indian breakfast to kickstart your day. Poha is probably going to be one of the option to come to your mind. Poha is my one the favorite breakfast. It’s easy to make and it tastes delicious. I always try to make a different variety of poha sometimes I add vegetables, temper with fennel seeds or kadi leaves, serve with fruits.
Poha is a wholesome dish made of flattened rice is immensely popular across the country, particularly in Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. I have already shared different types of poha recipes – Indori poha recipe, Matar Poha, Spinach Sprouts Brown Poha, Brown Poha with Grapes, Pea Pineapple Poha, Vegetable Brown Poha, Sprouts Pomegranate Poha, Carrots Pea Poha, Banarsi Chura Matar.
This time I made Maharashtraian poha with little changes. Generally, Maharashtrian Poha is made out of white poha, onion, potato, green chilies and tempered with curry leaves. Garnished with peanuts, lime juice, and lots of coriander leaves.
In this recipe, I replaced potato with sweet potatoes and white poha with red poha. As sweet potatoes are a rich source of fibre as well as containing a good array of vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, selenium, and they’re a good source of most of our B vitamins and vitamin C. Whereas, a healthier variation to the everyday white rice poha is the red poha or brown poha, which is made from red rice. Brown poha is slightly coarser in texture as compared to white poha. Brown poha is rich in fiber, vitamin B, and minerals like calcium, zinc, iron, manganese, etc.
Maharashtrian Poha With Healthy Twist – Super Healthy Breakfast
Brown Poha – 1 cup
Potatoes – 2
Finely chopped onion – 2
Finely chopped green chilly – 1
Finely chopped coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 7
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Pav bhaji masala – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Juice of one lemon
Roasted peanuts – 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes. Boil 1 cup of water in a pan and add sweet potato cubes and cook for 8 minutes on high flame. After 8 minutes strain potato and keep them aside. (Do not overcook the sweet potatoes)
- Put brown poha in a colander and wash twice. Leave brown poha in a colander to drain out completely.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, onions and cook until onions are translucent.
- Now boiled sweet potatoes with little salt. Mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Cook till potatoes are crisp.
- After 5 minutes add turmeric, salt, pav bhaji masala, chopped green chilies. Cook for 5 minutes on high flame.
- Lower the flame and add soaked brown poha. Mix it well and cook for another 3 minutes. Switch off the flame and add lemon juice.
- Mix them well and cover the lid. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes open the lid and garnish with roasted peanuts, chopped coriander leaves. Served hot poha with tea.
If you have raw peanuts. Dry roast them on medium-high heat on a pan for 5 minutes stirring continuously.