Today I baked this yummy, moist Coconut Orange Cake on the occasion of my hubby birthday.
This eggless delicious cake is made with whole wheat flour, yogurt, and a whole boiled orange. There is no artificial flavor used & the secret of this Orangey tasty cake is – The Whole Boiled Orange which makes it tasty. The combination of orange and coconut are simply delightful together.
I also shared some other cakes recipe with Orange earlier – Eggless Cherry Orange Cake, Eggless Whole Wheat Orange Carrot Dry Fruit Cake, Whole Orange Red Cranberry Cake, Orange is one of my favorite fruit and I never miss any chance to add it in my cooking.
The texture of this coconut cake is a fine crumb and it is very moist. The flavor is simply wonderful, packed with coconut and orange, it’s a perfect cake to go with a cup of coffee. Earlier I used the carrot with coconut in one of my cake which is reblogged by mumsandstories (http://mumsandstories.com/index.php/2018/04/24/coconut-carrot-cake-by-rupali-mad-about-cooking/)
Eggless Coconut Orange Cake
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup
Powdered Sugar – 1/2 cup
Powdered Dry Coconut – 3/4 cup + 1/4 cup
Malta Orange – 1 (Medium Size)
Baking Powder – 3/4 tsp ( 1/2 + 1/4 tsp)
Baking soda or Eno – 1/2 tsp
Refined Oil – 1/4 cup
Curd – 3/4 cup
Custard powder – 1 tbsp
A pinch of salt
- Boil whole orange (with skin) in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water (cook in low flame till one whistle ) or in a saucepan put 2 cups of water and orange. Boil it for 60 minutes covered in low flame.
- After boiling allow orange to cool down completely. Then remove its pulp and remove pith from the skin.
- Dry roast coconut powder over medium heat on a nonstick for 5 minutes stirring continuously.
- When it turns into little brown switch off the flame and keep it aside to cool down completely before adding.
- Dry Ingredients: Shift whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt twice and keep it aside.
- Wet Ingredients: Now add boiled orange (with the skin after removing pith), curd, sugar, oil with custard powder in a grinder until smooth.
- Now mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients, and roasted coconut powder (3/4 cup). Mix them well.
- Put batter into a greased pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of coconut powder over prepared cake batter and with help of spatula press gently.
- Tap the cake pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Put the cake pan into the preheated pressure cooker and bake it for 1 hour.
- Adjust sugar according to your taste.
- Baking time may vary.
- If cake batter looks dry, add 2- 4 tbsp of curd.
- If baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 1 hour. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
- For best results use orange with thin skin.
- “Malta” orange is perfect for this cake.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use the baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( overbake ) the cake. So use pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
How to Bake In A Pressure Cooker?
- Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes. Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand.
- Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
- Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid.
- Lower the flame after 2 minutes. Let it bake for 50 -60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes check cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the cake is done.
- If batter still sticks to knife then again bake for another 10 minutes. Do not open the lid immediately.
- Eggless Pressure Cooker Cake is ready.
Categories: Cooker Cake