Bael Fruit also is known as wood apple, elephant apple or monkey apple. It gets the name wood apple because of its hard wooden shell. Woodapple shells are tough, and the inside consists of a brownish pulp and small white seeds.
The wood apple tree is native to India but is also found in Sri Lanka, Thailand, and other regions in the southern part of Asia. It has a lot of health benefits and it’s very rich in minerals like iron, phosphorus, and calcium. It’s also a rich source of vitamin B and citric acid.
I have already posted the recipe for Woodapple Juice and Woodapple Jam. Now this time its a “CAKE ” Yes, tea time summer cake made with whole wheat flour, milk, and wood apple jam. I have added chopped bael candy (Patanjali Product) instead of dry fruits. Glazed with wood apple jam and sprinkle some colored mint flavored fennel. It turned out so moist and delicious. Do try this cake this summer.
Whole Wheat Woodapple Cake (Aata Bael Ka Cake) – Summer Special
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 and 1/2 cups
White Powdered Sugar -3/4 cup
Milk – 1 Cup
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Woodapple Jam – 3/4 cup + 3 tbsp
Refined Oil – 6 tbsp
A pinch of Salt
Chopped Bael Candy (I used Patanjali Bael Candy) – 1/2 cup
For Topping: Mint Flavored Fennel – 2 tbsp
- Toss 1 tsp of wheat flour with chopped Bael candy and keep it aside.
- Dry Ingredients – Sieve whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and add tossed Bael candy. Mix them well.
- Wet Ingredients – In a grinder mix sugar, oil, milk until, woodapple jam, smooth mixture.
- Now mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients well.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the batter into the baking pan. Spoon woodapple jam over the cake batter keeping batter away from the edges of the pan.
- Spoon remaining cake batter over the woodapple jam layer.
- Tab the cake pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Put cake pan into the preheated pressure cooker and bake it for 1 hour.
- When the cake is done, allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and set them on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan.
- Now take a spoon of woodapple jam and spread with help of butter knife. Sprinkle mint fennel.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing.
- Adjust sugar according to your taste.
- Baking time may vary.
- If cake batter looks dry, add 2- 4 tbsp of milk.
- If baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 1 hour. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use the baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( overbake ) the cake. So use pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
How to Bake In A Pressure Cooker?
- Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes. Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand.
- Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
- Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid.
- Lower the flame after 2 minutes. Let it bake for 50 -60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes check cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the cake is done.
- If batter still sticks to knife then again bake for another 10 minutes. Do not open the lid immediately.
- Eggless Pressure Cooker Cake is ready.
Categories: Cooker Cake