A healthier variation to the everyday POHA is the red poha or brown poha, which is made from red rice. Brown poha is slightly coarser in texture as compared to white poha. Brown poha is rich in fiber, vitamin B, and minerals like calcium, zinc, iron, manganese, etc. Brown rice is also enriched with antioxidants that help in fighting free radicals in our body, preventing the risk of diseases like cancer.
Brown poha made with fresh peas and flavored with few spices is perfect breakfast recipe.
Brown Poha With Peas (Matar Poha) – Healthy Breakfast
Brown Poha – 1 cup
Peas – 1/2 cup
Finely chopped onion – 2
Finely chopped green chilly – 1
Finely Chopped Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 7
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Pav bhaji masala – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Juice of one lemon
Salt to taste
- Boil peas with one cup of water in a saucepan for 5 minutes or microwave peas with 1 cup of water for 10 minutes on high power. After that drain it and keeps it aside.
- Put brown poha in a colander and wash twice. Leave brown poha in a colander to drain out completely.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, onions and cook until onions are translucent.
- Now add turmeric, salt, pav bhaji masala, boiled peas, chopped green chilies. Cook for 5 minutes on high flame.
- Lower the flame and add soaked brown poha. Mix it well and cook for another 3 minutes. Switch off the flame and add lemon juice.
- Mix them well and cover the lid. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes open the lid and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Served hot Brown Poha with tea.