Sooji Gur Ka Halwa is a delicious sweet dish made with ghee, sooji or semolina, jaggery flavored with fennel seeds and lots of dry fruits. It is a traditional North Indian dish, it is mostly prepared during Winters, as jaggery and ghee lend warmth to the body.
By adding jaggery this dessert becomes more nutritious and healthier. The benefits of jaggery include its ability to cleanse your body, sweeten your food in a healthy manner, and provide good amounts of minerals. I already shared Whole Wheat Halwa With Jaggery – Wholesome Dessert and Atta Sooji Halwa (Semolina Whole Wheat Flour Pudding) recipes on my blog.
Sooji Gur Ka Halwa (Semolina Jaggery Pudding) – Healthy Dessert
Sooji or Semolina – 1 cup
Grated Jaggery – 3/4 cup
Water – 2 cups
Ghee – 5 tbsp + 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Fennel seeds – 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
A pinch of salt
Chopped dry fruits – 1/2 cup
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a deep non-stick kadai. Roast all chopped dry for a minute and keep them aside.
- Heat 5 tbsp of ghee in a deep non-stick kadai and roast sooji till the color turns brown.
- Boil water in another pan and add jaggery, a pinch of salt. Boil water until jaggery dissolves completely.
- Sieve the boiled jaggery water and add in the roasted sooji. Mix it quickly and make sure there are no lumps.
- Cook for another minute on low flame, stirring continuously.
- Keep on stirring until the whole mixture starts thickening and starts to leave the edge of the kadai.
- Add fennel seeds, cardamom powder, remaining 1 tbsp of ghee and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped dry fruits and serve hot.