Green leafy vegetables like palak (spinach), mustard greens (sarso), methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) these all are winter vegetables. These vegetables are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Sarso Ka Saag – It is a famous recipe from North India made with the combination of these green vegetables. I grew up in Chandigarh – Sarso ka saag teh Makki ki roti with homemade white butter is my all-time favorite meal in winters.
Sarso Ka Saag – Winter Recipe
Green Leafy Vegetable
Mustard leaves – 250 gms
Spinach – 200 gms
Fenugreek Leaves – 100 gms
Finely chopped onion – 1 big
Finely chopped tomato – 2 big
Finely chopped garlic – 2 tbsp
Finely chopped ginger – 1 inch
Finely chopped green chili – 1
Maize flour – 3 tbsp
Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
Cumin – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
- Clean all green leafy vegetables, remove stalk and separate the leaves from it. Wash the leaves thoroughly with water, drain out the excess water and chop the leaves finely.
- Now add all chopped green leafy vegetables in a pressure cooker with 1/2 cup of water. Close the lid and cook until one whistle. After it simmers once, turns off the flame and let the steam escape on its own.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan on low flame and add cumin. Allow it to crackle.
- Then add chopped onions and sauté on a medium flame until translucent. Now add ginger, garlic, green chili and cook for 5 minutes on the medium-low flame.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, tomato puree and cook until masala leaves oil.
- At this stage add maize flour and stir constantly to roast.
- Open the lid of pressure cooker and mash the boiled green leafy vegetables with a ladle or spoon.
- Now add mashed green leafy vegetables and salt into the cooked masala. Mix them well.
- Now add 1 cup water and cook on low flame for 10 to 12 minutes. Do stir the sabzi after every 1 to 2 minutes.
- Garnish with homemade white butter and serve.