Amazing combination of beans and vegetable – Chole Palak Curry
Chole palak curry is a north Indian delicious curry made with spinach and chickpea. Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, Kabuli channa and it is a great source of protein. Spinach which is known as palak is a storehouse of iron. Together they make a delicious wholesome meal.
Chole Palak Curry (Chickpea Spinach Curry) – Lunch/Dinner Recipe
Chickpeas – 1 cup
Spinach – 2 bunches
Finely chopped onion – 1 big
Finely chopped tomato – 2 big
Finely chopped garlic – 2 tbsp
Finely chopped ginger – 1 inch
Finely chopped green chili – 1
Oil – 2 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Cumin – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Channa masala – 1 tsp
Juice of half lemon
Salt to taste
Pomegranate – 1/2 cup for garnishing
- Wash and soak chickpeas overnight.
- Next day, pressure cook chickpeas with 2 cups of water, salt, a pinch of turmeric for 4-5 whistles. Keep aside to cool.
- Remove stems from the spinach and wash thoroughly in running water. Blanch in salted boiling water for two minutes. Now transfer boiled spinach into ice-cold water to retain the green color. Squeeze out excess water and grind it into a smooth puree.
- Heat oil in a pan on low flame and add cumin. Allow it to crackle.
- Then add chopped onions and sauté on a medium flame until translucent. Now add ginger, garlic, green chili and cook for 5 minutes on the medium-low flame.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, channa masala, tomato puree and cook until masala leaves oil.
- Add boiled chickpea and let it cook with prepared masala for 4 minutes on medium-low flame.
- Now add puree spinach, lemon juice, and salt into the cooked masala. Mix well.
- Now add 1/2 cup water and cook on low flame for 10 to 12 minutes. Do stir the sabzi after every 1 to 2 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add ghee. Stir it once.
- Garnish with pomegranate and serve hot with plain rice or paratha or chapati.