Rajma curry is a red kidney bean curry that is a very popular dish in Northern India, especially in Punjab. It is made by sauteing the onion- tomato masala with spices and then simmering the cooked rajma. Rajma Curry is served with plain boiled rice, cucumber, and pickle.
Rajma Curry (Red Kidney Beans Curry) – My Favorite Curry
Rajma ( soaked overnight ) – 1 cup
Finely chopped onion – 1 (Big size)
Finely chopped ginger – 1/2 inch
Finely chopped garlic – 4
Finely chopped green chilly- 2
Tomato puree – 2
Finely chopped coriander – 1/4 cup
Whole Garam Masalas:
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
Clove – 3
Black cardamom – 1
Black pepper – 3
Cumin – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Rajma Masala- 1 tsp
Oil -1 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Put soaked Rajma with 2 cups of water, a pinch of salt and turmeric in a pressure cooker. Mix them well and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Check to see the Rajmas are cooked. Take one between your fingers and if you press it, it should squish. Keep them aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add whole garam masalas. Sauté for 15 seconds.
- Then add chopped onions and sauté on a medium flame until translucent. Now add ginger, garlic, green chili and cook for 5 minutes on the medium-low flame.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric, rajma masala, salt, tomato puree and cook until masala leaves oil.
- Take 1/2 cup of boiled Rajmas on a plate. Gently mash them with a potato masher.
- Now add mashed boiled Rajmas in a prepared masala and cook for 3 minutes on the medium-low flame.
- Now add mashed rajma masala back in a cooker with the remaining boiled Rajma and mix them well. Close the lid and cook Rajma for 2-5 minutes on high flame.
- After 5 minutes switch off the gas and allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Now add 1 tbsp of ghee and garnished with coriander. Serve with plain white rice.