Uttar Pradesh is famous for a variety of street food snacks like samosa, kachori or chaats. Banarsi Chura Matar is one of the popular street food, especially in winters when Matar (peas) are easily available in the market.
Banarsi Chooda Matar or Chura Matar is different from the Maharastrain Poha. Maharashtrian poha is made with lots of onions, potatoes, and flavor with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Whereas in Banari Chooda Matar, Poha soaked with milk, fresh green peas flavor with spices like jeera, garam masala powder, lemon juice and fresh coriander. It is a delicious and easy winter breakfast recipe.
Banarsi Chooda Matar (Chura Matar) Recipe – Winter Recipe
Poha – 1 cup
Peas – 3/4 cup
Finely chopped onion – 1
Finely chopped green chilly – 1
Cumin or jeera – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
Fresh Coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
Milk – 4 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Juice of one lemon
Salt to taste
- Boil peas with one cup of water in a saucepan for 5 minutes or microwave peas with 1 cup of water for 10 minutes on high power. After that drain it and keeps it aside.
- Put poha in a colander and wash twice. Add milk over washed poha and mix it well. Keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a nonstick pan. Add cumin allow to crackle.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Now add salt, garam masala, black pepper powder, boiled peas, chopped green chilies. Cook for 5 minutes on high flame.
- Now lower the flame and add milk soaked poha. Mix it well and cook for another 3 minutes. Switch off the flame and add lemon juice.
- Mix them well and cover the lid. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes open the lid and garnish with coriander leaves and served with ginger fennel tea.