Think of a healthy and quick Indian breakfast to kickstart your day and poha is probably going to be one of the option to come to your mind. The wholesome dish made of flattened rice is immensely popular across the country, particularly in Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. I have already shared Indori poha recipe which is tempered with fennel seeds. Almost every household has its own way of preparing it – some use onions some peas and peanuts and others use a whole bunch of vegetables along with a mix of spices and fresh herbs like kadi leaves or fennel seeds.
Poha is my one the favorite breakfast. It’s easy to make and it tastes delicious. I always try to make a different variety of poha sometimes I add vegetables, temper with fennel seeds or kadi leaves, sometimes with fruits – pomegranate, and pineapple. This time I used grapes, both black and green grapes. I made this recipe with – Red poha or Brown Poha. The idea of adding grapes turned out to be very good and the recipe idea given to me by my friend Isha Dabral.
I made this recipe with Red poha which is a more healthier option. Red Rice Poha or Brown Poha is flattened rice made with red rice or brown rice. It has high nutrition value and it’s easy to digest. You can also make with white poha too.
Brown Poha with Grapes – Healthy Breakfast
Brown Poha – 1 cup
Finely chopped onion – 2
Finely chopped green chilly – 1
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Pav bhaji masala – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Juice of one lemon
Salt to taste
Chopped Grapes ( black and green ) For Garnishing – 2 cups
- Put brown poha in a colander and wash twice. Leave brown poha in a colander to drain out completely.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Add mustard seeds, fennel seeds, onions and cook until onions are translucent.
- Now add turmeric, salt, pav bhaji masala, chopped green chilies. Cook for 5 minutes on high flame.
- Now lower the flame and add soaked brown poha. Mix it well and cook for another 3 minutes. Switch off the flame and add lemon juice.
- Mix them well and cover the lid. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes open the lid and garnish with chopped grapes. Served hot Brown Poha with tea.