Dhokla is a vegetarian food item that originates from the Indian state of Gujarat. It is made with a fermented batter derived from rice and split chickpeas. Dhokla can be eaten for breakfast, as the main course, as a side dish, or as a snack.
Dhokla is one of my favorite breakfast but my hubby is not a big fan of dhokla. So, to make him eat dhokla I always try to do some twist in it. I tried besan dhokla with peas, beetroot, and even orange juice. This time I, mixed spinach and it turned out so good that I got only one piece to eat all dhokla is whipped by my hubby (happy me).
Palak Dhokla is made gram flour and spinach. It is a delicious and packed with nutrients. Spinach or palak is extremely rich in iron and dietary fibres. Gram flour or besan is also rich in fiber, iron, potassium, manganese, copper, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium.
Here are more dhoklas with besan to try
Palak Besan Ka Dhokla ( Steamed Spinach Gramflour Savory Cake) – Winter Breakfast Special
Besan – 1 cup
Curd – 1/4 cup
Spinach Puree* – 1 cup
Oil – 1/2 tsp
Eno – 1 tsp
Juice of one lemon
Finely chopped green chilies – 2
Grated ginger – 1 tbsp (Optional )
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds or Rai – 1/2 tsp
White sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Water – 1 & 1/4 cup
Green chili – 2
Juice of one lemon
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Pomegranate for garnishing – 1 cup
- Mix all other ingredients mentioned under dhokla except Eno. Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Keep 2 cups of water in a deep kadhai and put a stand in it. Cover it and let it boil for 5 minutes. Now add Eno in a dhokla batter and pour 1 tsp of lemon juice over it. Mix it well.
- Pour Dhokla batter into greased pan and steam for 15-20 minutes.
- Check with a toothpick if it cum out clean then it’s done. Allow dhokla to cool completely.
- For Tempering: Heat oil in a small pan, first add the mustard seeds. Let them pop first. Now add chopped chilies and then white sesame seeds.
In bowl mix water, sugar and add this mixture to tempering and boil for a minute.
- Then switch off the flame and add lemon juice. Mix it well.
- Allow to cool down the mixture for 3-5 minutes. Then pour this mixture over steamed besan dhokla and cut into the desired shape.
- Garnish with pomegranate and serve.
Spinach Puree: For the spinach puree first, boil 2 cups water in a saucepan. Add the small bunch of spinach leaves in the boiling water, let it boil for 5 minutes. Then, using a tong take out the boiled spinach leaves and add to the cold water immediately. Squeeze excess water, make a puree in a grinder. You can add the ginger and green chili into spinach while grinding.