Sweet and thick jam with a touch of cinnamon and black pepper. Tomato Apple Jam is a delicious combination of vegetable and fruit.
Both tomato and apple have a good amount of pectin. Pectin is a naturally occurring substance that makes jellies gel and gives jams their spread consistency. Apples and tomatoes contain a particularly high amount of pectin which helps jam to set. Pectin is available in the skin and pulp of fresh apples.
Tomato Apple Jam – Healthy Jam
Apple – 4 small
Tomato – 6 small
Sugar – 1 cup
Water – 3/4 cup
Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Juice of one lemon
- Wash the tomatoes under running water. Boil them in a deep bottomed saucepan on high flame with 1 cup of water for 5 minutes (covered).
- Once done, take out the tomatoes and peel the skin, chop them into small pieces.
- Cut apple into small pieces (with skin).
- Put chopped apples, chopped boiled tomato, and cinnamon powder into a deep saucepan with 3/4 cup of water.
- Cook, it covered for 10 minutes on medium-high flame.
- Switch off the flame and allow to cool down completely.
- Put boiled apple, and tomato into a grinder. Now make a smooth puree. It yields 2 cups of puree.
- Now add sugar and cook on medium-low flame for 10 minutes. Now add black pepper powder and mix well.
- Once jam starts to thickens switch off the flame. Allow jam to cool down completely.
- Now add lemon juice and mix well.
- Yummy Tomato Apple Jam is ready to serve.
- Lift jam with a spatula and pour jam, it should flow together and not in drops.
- Pour a few drops of prepared jam on a plate if it spreads then it’s not ready if it stays firm without moving then the jam is ready.
- Allow jam to cool completely. Then store in a clean and dry glass jar.
- Keep jam in the refrigerator after every use. Use a clean and dry spoon.
- It last long for 3 months.