Healthy Treat For Christmas – Eggless Whole Wheat Jaggery Fruit Cake
This is the easy and healthy cake recipe that I am sharing here for the upcoming Christmas. This cake is made with the wholesome goodness of whole wheat, jaggery with lots of dry fruits and nuts.
This version of fruitcake needs no soaking of dry fruits and nuts. It is perfect for the holidays and especially kids will love it.
Eggless Whole Wheat Jaggery Fruit Cake – No Oven Cake
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 & 1/2 cups
Grated Jaggery – 1 cup
Room Temperature Milk – 1/2 cup
Warm Water – 1/2 cup
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Dry Fruits and Nuts* – 1 & 1/4 cup (combination of raisins, seedless dates, dried apricot, pistachios, tutti frutti, cashews, dried blueberries, dried red cranberries)
Nuts * – 1/2 cup (chopped almonds, walnuts)
Fennel * – 1 tsp
Refined Oil – 6 tbsp
Fennel – 1 tbsp
A pinch of salt
- In a bowl add dried blueberries, red cranberries, raisins, pistachios and 1 cup of hot water. Keep it aside for half an hour (covered).
- After half an hour drain water. Take soaked berries, raisins, pistachios (chopped) and mix with other nuts.
- Then toss all dry fruits and nuts with 2 tbsp of whole wheat flour. Keep it aside.
- Dry Ingredients – Sieve whole wheat flour, baking powder. Now add dry fruits, nuts and mix them well.
- Wet Ingredients – Grind milk, warm water, jaggery, oil in a mixer.
- Now add dry and wet ingredients together. Cake batter is ready to bake.
- Pour batter into the pan and tab the cake pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Bake it for 1 hour 10 minutes in preheated pressure cooker.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use the baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( overbake ) the cake. So use pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
How to Bake In A Pressure Cooker?
- Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes.Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand.
- Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
- Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid.
- Lower the flame after 2 minutes.Let it bake for 50 -60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes check cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the cake is done.
- If batter still sticks to knife then again bake for 10 minutes. Do not open the lid immediately.
- Adjust jaggery according to your taste.
- Use room temperature or cold milk. Don’t use hot milk otherwise milk may curdle.
- The acidity in the jaggery will curdle the milk if milk is hot.
- Mix Dry Fruits & Nuts: In a bowl add dried blueberries, red cranberries, raisins, pistachios and 1 cup of hot water. Keep it aside for half an hour (covered). After half an hour drain water. Take soaked berries, raisins, pistachios and mix with other nuts, fennel. Then toss all dry fruits and nuts with 2 tbsp of whole wheat flour. Keep them aside.
- If baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 1 hour 10 minutes. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
Categories: Cooker Cake