A fruity delight that smoothly spreads on the toasted bread. This apple gooseberry jam is easy to make and preservative free.
Apple Gooseberry Jam is a healthy combination of apple and gooseberry. Gooseberry which is also known as Amla. It’s a potent source of Vitamin C and also contains iron and calcium.
Pectin is a naturally occurring substance that makes jellies gel and gives jams their spread consistency. Apples contain a particularly high amount of pectin which helps jam to set. Apple pectin is available in the skin and pulp of fresh apples.
I also added one small beetroot for giving perfect red color and this makes jam even more healthy.
Apple Gooseberry Jam – Healthy Jam
Apple – 4 small
Gooseberry – 6
Beetroot – 1 small
Sugar – 1 & 1/2 cups
Water – 1 & 1/2 cups
Juice of half lemon
- Put the chopped apple (with skin), gooseberry, beetroot in a deep non-stick saucepan with 1 & 1/2 cups of water. Cook, it covered for 10 minutes on medium-high flame.
- Switch off the flame and allow to cool down completely.
- Grind boiled apple, gooseberry, and beetroot into a smooth puree. It yields 2 & 1/2 cups of puree.
- Now add sugar and cook on medium-low flame for 10 minutes. Once jam starts to thickens switch off the flame.
- Allow jam to cool down and then add lemon juice.
- Mix well and store in a clean glass jar.
- Lift jam with a spatula and pour jam, it should flow together and not in drops.
- Pour few drops of prepared jam on a plate if it spreads then it’s not ready if it stays firm without moving then the jam is ready.
- Allow jam to cool completely. Then store in a clean and dry glass jar.
- Keep jam in the refrigerator after every use. Use a clean and dry spoon. It last long for 3 months.