Kadhi chawal (“yogurt curry with rice”) is a popular, rice-based dish from India. There are several variations of this food that can be found in states such as Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Punjab, Rajasthan, and Gujarat. Kadhi is a blend of besan (gram flour or chickpea flour), dahi (yogurt), and spices.
Traditionally Kadhi is served with fried besan dumplings called Pakoras. Palak Kadhi uses freshly cut spinach leaves instead of fritters. Adding spinach to the curry not only imparts a unique taste to the dish but also adds nutrients, antioxidants, and minerals.
Since Kadhi is made with a base of chickpea flour and yogurt, it is a really good source of protein. Spinach is rich in vitamins A, magnesium, iron, and manganese. Eating this leafy green veggie may benefit eye health, reduce oxidative stress, and reduce blood pressure levels among other health functions. Whether you like it or not, spinach is surely one veggie that you must include in your daily diet.
Palak Kadhi – Low Calorie Recipe | Spinach In Yogurt Based Curry
This kadhi is without any pakodas (fritters), but the addition of spinach, tempered with fenugreek seeds and dry red chilis adds a beautiful flavor to your meals. It is a healthy, very light meal to be savored and enjoyed at any time of the day.
Low Fat Curd – 1 cup
Chickpea flour – 4 tbsp
Spinach – 250 gms
Chopped garlic – 4
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry red chilli – 2
Oil – 1 tbsp
Water – 2 or 3 cups
Salt to taste
- Yogurt spinach mixture: In a blender add yogurt, chickpea flour, spinach, garlic, red chili powder, coriander powder, salt with 1 cup of water in a grinder. Pulse twice to combine and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a kadai. Add fenugreek seeds and dry red chilli. Saute for few seconds.
- Now add yogurt spinach mixture and remaining 1 & 1/2 cups of water. Mix them well.
- Cook for 20 minutes on low flame till it becomes little thick and creamy.
- Serve hot with plain steamed rice.