Dhokla is a vegetarian food item that originates from the Indian state of Gujarat. Dhokla can be eaten for breakfast, as the main course, as a side dish, or as a snack. Dhokla is one my favorite breakfast and it’s easy to make. There are different types of dhokla, which can be made with rava or semolina or sooji, besan or gram flour, or even daal or lentils.
Here are few recipes of Dhoklas:
- Matar Besan ka Dhokla (Pea Gramflour Dhokla)
- Yellow Moong Daal Dhokla
- Besan Dhokla
- Sweet Corn Rava Dhokla
- Mango Rava Dhokla
- Rava Dhokla
- Green Mango Rava Dhokla
- Beetroot “Besan Dhokla ”
- Orangey Besan Dhokla – No Sugar Dhokla
- Marble Rava Dhokla – Holi Special
- Beetroot Rava Dhokla
Green Moong Daal are loaded with nutritional health benefits. Green Mung Daal is high protein, low-calorie food that is packed with vitamins and minerals. Dhokla made with Green Moong Daal is a healthy breakfast option. It is best enjoyed with a cup of hot tea. Served Dhokla with green raw mango coriander chutney.
Whole Green Daal Dhokla – Healthy Breakfast
For Dhokla :
Whole Green Daal – 1 cup
Besan or gram flour – 2 tbsp
Curd or Yogurt – 2 tbsp
Ginger – 1 inch
Green Chili – 2
Fresh coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Eno – 1 tsp
Juice of half lemon
Salt as required
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds or Rai – 1/2 tsp
Green chili – 3 (cut lengthwise)
White Sesame – 1 tbsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves – 7
Sugar – 1 tsp (optional)
Water – 3/4 cup
- Wash and soak the whole moong daal for overnight.
- Grind the soaked whole moong daal with ginger, green chilly, coriander leaves, besan or gram flour, curd and very little water (2tbsp) to a semi coarse paste.
- Keep 2 cups of water in a deep kadai and put a stand in it. Cover it and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Now add Eno in a dhokla batter and pour lemon juice over it. Mix it well.
- Pour batter into a greased dhokla pan and steam for 15 minutes. Check with a toothpick if it cum out clean then it’s done. Allow it cool down.
- Heat oil in a small pan. First, add the mustard seeds. Let them pop first.
- Add curry leaves and white sesame, and allow to crackle.
- Then add green chili, sugar. Now add water, lemon juice and let it boil for 1 minute. Switch off the flame.
- Spread tempering over dhokla and cut into the desired shape and enjoy.