Moong Daal is a healthy Indian comfort food prepared from yellow split lentil and spices. It is rich in protein and a staple food in India. Moong daal is light and easy on the stomach. Moong daal is boiled and then flavored with ghee or butter infused with spices and curry leaves.
Aromatic leaves, belonging to the neem family are also known as “Meetha Neem”. They are used very widely in Indian cooking especially in South. Curry leaves have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Washed & soaked ( 3 hours ) Yellow moong daal – 1/2 cup
Finely chopped green chili – 2 ( Cut lengthwise)
Roughly chopped garlic – 5
Curry leaves – 7
Mustard seeds or Rai – 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Sabzi masala – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Boil daal with 1 & 1/2 cups of water with turmeric ( 1/4 tsp), salt.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds or rai. Now add red chili powder, turmeric (1/4 tsp), coriander powder, sabzi masala, garam masala and chopped garlic, and green chili.
- Saute garlic for 2 minutes on low flame until little brown.
- Then add tadka in a boiled daal and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapatis or steamed rice.
* Add more water if daal is thick.