Moong Daal is a healthy Indian comfort food prepared from yellow split lentil and spices. It is rich in protein and a staple food in India. Moong daal is light and easy on the stomach. Moong daal is boiled and then flavored with ghee or butter infused with spices, and curry leaves.
Curry leaves are aromatic leaves, belonging to the neem family which is also known as “Meetha Neem”. It is used widely in Indian cooking, especially in South. Curry leaves have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Moong Daal Tadka – With Curry Leaves
Washed & soaked ( 3 hours ) Yellow moong daal – 1/2 cup
Finely chopped green chili – 2 ( Cut lengthwise)
Roughly chopped garlic – 5
Curry leaves – 7
Mustard seeds or Rai – 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Sabzi masala – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Boil moong daal with 1 & 1/2 cups of water with turmeric ( 1/4 tsp), salt for 10 minutes on a medium-low flame (uncovered).
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds or rai. Allow them to pop.
- Now add red chili powder, turmeric (1/4 tsp), coriander powder, sabzi masala, garam masala, chopped garlic, and green chili.
- Add chopped garlic and saute it for 2 minutes on low flame until little brown.
- Now add saute garlic masala in a boiled daal and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapatis or steamed rice.
* Add more water (boiled water) if daal is thick.