Matar Paneer Gravy one of the popular paneer recipe from Punjab. It is a really simple dish to prepare and is packed with rich flavors. The combination of peas and soft paneer in a mild spicy tomato gravy is a perfect lunch or dinner recipe. It can be served with roti or plain paratha or hot poori.
Matar Paneer Gravy (Cottage Cheese Peas Gravy) – Lunch/Dinner Recipe
Paneer in Cubes – 200 gms
Fresh Peas – 1/2 cup
Finely chopped onion – 2 medium
Tomato puree – 2 large
Finely chopped garlic – 4
Finely chopped ginger – 1 inch
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Ghee or oil – 1 tsp + 1 tbsp
Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Sabzi masala – 1 tsp
Finely chopped coriander – 3 tbsp
Dry Kasoori Methi – 1 tbsp
Finely chopped green chili – 1
Salt to taste
- Boil peas in a microwave with 1 cup of water on high power for 10 minutes or Boil peas with 1 cup of water on medium-high flame for 10 minutes. Drain and keep it aside.
- Heat a nonstick pan and 1/2 tsp of ghee or oil. Add paneer cubes and saute for 2- 5 minutes on low flame until crisp from both the sides. Now take them out and keep on an absorbent paper.
- In the same pan add 1/2 tsp of ghee or oil and add boiled peas. Saute for 1-2 minutes on low flame. Take them out and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan add 1 tbsp of ghee or oil. Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add chopped onion and saute until translucent. Then add ginger, garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, turmeric, sabzi masala, red chili powder. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add saute paneer and peas. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 6 minutes with 1/2 cup of water, while stirring occasionally.
- Add dry kasoori methi and mix well. Serve hot garnished with coriander with Roties or plain paratha or hot poori.