Raksha Bandhan is here. A festival for celebrating the love between siblings. The common tradition associated with this occasion is the sister tying Rakhi on her brother’s hand and the brother on his part gifts his beloved sister something precious. Sister usually likes to prepare sweets, especially for this occasion a night before the celebration.
I have already posted Beetroot Boondi Ladoos and Milk Powder Choco chips Burfi which you can prepare in the eve of Raksha Bandhan. You can also prepare these sweets in advance. But my thali is incomplete without a cake.
Last year, I baked Orange cake with Boiled orange. This time, I baked a cake with whole wheat flour, dates, and lots of nuts which makes this cake not only yummy but healthy too. A super moist cake with dates and mix nuts in every bite. It is a deliciously wholesome treat and thus goes well with an evening tea too.
Recipes with Dates – Dates Cranberries Burfi, No Sugar Dates Prunes Raisins Chutney, Dates Prunes Banana Cake, Dates Jaggery Dip , Grapes Dates Chutney, Lapsi ( Broken Wheat Dates Jaggery Pudding), Carrot Beetroot Halwa With Dates, Christmas Whole Wheat Dates Dry Fruit Cake, Whole Wheat Carrot Dates Walnut Cake for Christmas, No Sugar Cake, No Sugar Filling For Gujiya, No Sugar Dates Banana Cake
Dates are mostly consumed in the middle east as part of their staple diet because of the high nutritional values. A fresh date is a drupe fruit with a fleshy outer part surrounded with a shell of hardened endocarp, consisting of seed inside. They are cylindrically oval with fleshy pericarp and varies in color, from bright red to bright yellow and brown when dried. I love to use dates not only in baking but in making chutneys or dip, sweets, my favorite no sugar filling for gujiya.
Raksha Bandhan Special | Whole Wheat Date Nuts Cake | Wholesome Healthy Treat
This easy, soft and delicious eggless date and nuts cake with loads of crunchy mix nuts. I bake with whole-wheat flour as much as possible. It has almost four times more fiber than all-purpose flour and provides more potassium, magnesium, and zinc. Baking is a science-not all baked goods are ideal candidates for whole-wheat, but if you experiment, you’ll find many recipes just as delicious with whole-wheat flour. I have been baking from the last 9 years with whole wheat flour. Each time results are awesome and delicious.
Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
Dates – 16
Milk – ¾ cup
Brown sugar – 1/4 cup
Refined Oil – 1/4 cup
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Mix nuts –1/4 cup
A pinch of salt
- Soak dates in 3/4 cup of warm milk for 20 minutes.
- Dry Ingredients: Sieve whole wheat flour, baking soda with a pinch of salt. Mix them well.
- Wet Ingredients: Now in a grinder add soaked dates with milk (Use the same milk in which dates are soaked), brown sugar, oil. Grind the mixture until smooth.
- Now mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients well.
- Put prepared batter into a greased pan. Sprinkle topping (mix nuts) over batter and with help of spatula press nuts gently.
- Tab the pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Put the pan into the preheated pressure cooker and bake it for 1 hour.
- You can add 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- Baking time may vary.
- If Baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 60 minutes. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use a baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( overbake ) the cake. So use pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
How To Bake In A Pressure Cooker?
- Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand. Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
- Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid. Lower the flame after 2 minutes.
- Let it bake for 60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes check cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the cake is done. If batter still sticks to knife then again bake for another 10 minutes. Do not open the lid immediately.
- Eggless pressure cake is ready.
Categories: Cooker Cake