Lauki channa dal curry is a good combination of lentil and vegetable. It is a healthy lunch recipe made with Lauki (bottle gourd) and channa daal (Split Bengal Gram). It is an easy and tasty recipe and goes well with steamed rice or parathas. It is rich in protein and folic acid.
Lauki which is also known as bottle squash, white gourd, trumpet gourd, lauki, doodhi, ghia, and calabash gourd. bottle gourd contains less in calories with no fat. Channa daal is good for diabetic patients because it has a low glycemic index and it is rich in protein.
Lauki Channa Daal Curry – Perfect Sunday Lunch Recipe
Lauki – 1 medium (grated)
Channa daal ( soaked for 4 hours or overnight ) – 1 cup
Finely chopped onion – 1
Finely chopped ginger – 1/2 inch
Finely chopped garlic – 4
Finely chopped green chilly- 2
Finely chopped tomato – 2
Finely chopped coriander – 1/4 cup
Whole Garam Masalas:
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
Clove – 3
Black cardamom – 1
Black pepper – 3
Cumin – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Sabzi masala or Channa masala- 1 tsp
Olive oil -1 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Combine the lauki, chana daal, salt and a pinch turmeric with 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and cook for 3 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add whole garam masalas and saute for 15 seconds.
- Then add chopped onions and saute on a medium flame until translucent. Now add ginger, garlic and cook for 2-4 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric, sabzi masala. Mix them well and add chopped tomato. Cook until masala leaves oil on the medium-low flame.
- Now add the boiled lauki channa daal and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for another 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Now add 1 tbsp of ghee and garnished with coriander leaves.