Think summer and the most popular fruits that come to mind includes – Mangoes, Melons, and Woodapple. Woodapple popularly known as bael in the Northern part of India, Wood apple gives you a boost of energy in summers. The high protein content of the fruit also boosts the healing power of your body.
I shared some recipes with Woodapple – Woodapple Jam, Woodapple Summer Drink, Whole Wheat Woodapple Cake, and Spicy Woodapple Chutney made with sugar. Today I am sharing wood apple chutney with jaggery or gur. By adding jaggery this chutney becomes healthier. The benefits of jaggery include its ability to cleanse your body, sweeten your food in a healthy manner, and provide good amounts of minerals.
This sugar free chutney is spicy and sweet chutney made with wood apple or bael, jaggery, and mix spices. It goes well parathas or with any chaat.
Woodapple Jaggery Chutney
Woodapple – 1 medium
Grated jaggery or gur – 1 cup
Black Salt – 1 tsp
Roasted cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
- Break open the fruit and using a spoon scoop the pulp. Put woodapple pulp with 1 cup of water in a bowl and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes using your palms gather. Squish the pulp to separate the seeds and juice the pulp. Press the juice through a sieve to strain the fibers and seeds from the thick pulp.
- Add strained wood apple pulp in a nonstick pan and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Add jaggery with all spices and cook for another 10 minutes on low flame. Once chutney starts to thickens switch off the flame.
- Allow chutney to cool down. Then add lemon juice and mix well.
- Lift chutney with a spatula and pour chutney, it should flow together and not in drops.
- Pour few drops of prepared chutney on a plate if it spreads then it’s not ready if it stays firm without moving then the chutney is ready.
- Allow to cool and store in sterilized glass jar.
- Keep chutney in the refrigerator after every use. Use a clean and dry spoon. It last long for 3 months.