Orange Apricot Cake with boiled orange – Pressure cooker Cake
In Orange cake generally, we use juice and zest of orange. But in this cake, I am using ” boiled orange”. Yes boiled orange with skin and it will give you perfect & full flavored orange cake. Oranges lovers do try this cake. I baked this cake on the occasion of Rakhi.
Flour – 1 cup
( I used 50:50, Whole Wheat Flour: Maida )
Boiled orange puree with skin – 1 medium
Powdered Sugar – 1/2 cup
Chopped dried apricots- 1/2 cup
Cold milk – 1/4 + 1/4 cup
Refined Oil – 1/4 cup
Vanilla custard powder – 1 tbsp
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Baking soda or Eno – 1/2 tsp
Salt a pinch
- Boil orange in a pressure cooker (cook in low flame till one whistle ) or in a saucepan put 2 cups of water and orange. Boil for 60 minutes covered in low flame.
After boiling allow orange to cool down completely. Then remove its pulp and remove pith from the skin.
- Now grind orange pulp and skin with 1/4 cup of cold milk. The Orangey mixture is ready.
For Cake Batter:
- Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda or eno, salt chopped apricots and keep aside.
- In a grinder mix sugar, oil, milk (1/4 cup )and grind until a smooth batter.
- Mix both above mixtures with boiled orangey mixture together and mix well ( if batter is dry add 2 tbsp of milk )
- Pour cake batter into baking pan and tab it. Bake it for 60 minutes.
* For best results use orange with thin skin. “Malta” orange is perfect for this cake.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use the baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( over bake ) the cake. So use pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes.
Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand. Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid. Lower the flame after 2 minutes.
Let it bake for 60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes switch off the heat. Do not open the lid immediately.
After 10 minutes open the lid to check whether the cake is done. Put a knife inside the cake.
If the mixture does not stick to it, it means the cake is done.
Enjoy eggless pressure cooker cake.
Categories: Cooker Cake