Besan Dhokla is my favorite breakfast. Made from besan this dish is nutritious, low calorie, protein rich recipe ideal for breakfast or snack time. You can serve Dhokla in many ways – Idli, Muffins or “Dhokla cake”. The recipe is the same only way of serving is different.
Besan Idli Dhokla – My Favorite Breakfast
Besan – 1 cup
Sooji – 4 tbsp
Curd – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1 tsp
Eno – 1 tsp
Tumeric – 1/2 tsp
Juice of one lemon
Salt to taste
Ginger Chilli Paste:
Finely chopped green chilies – 2
Grated ginger – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Water – 1 & 1/4 cup
Finely chopped green chili- 1
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Powdered Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Grind ginger and green chili with 2 tbsp of water. Ginger Green Chili paste is ready.
Mix all above dhokla ingredients except eno and add ginger, green chili paste. Mix them well and keep it aside for 10 mins.
- Pour 2 cups of water in the pressure cooker or in a deep kadhai and allow water to boil for 5 minutes. Now add eno into a besan batter and pour 1 tsp of water over it. Mix batter well.
- Now pour besan batter into a greased idli molds. Now place idli stand in the cooker or kadhai. Close the lid of the cooker (do not put the whistle on the lid, if using cooker).
- Cook idli on a high flame for 10 – 15 minutes. Turn off the gas. Open the pressure cooker or kadhai lid, Check with a toothpick if it cum out clean then it’s done. Then remove the stand, separate the plates, let it cool a bit.
- Now scoop out the besan dhokla with the help of a spoon and place on a plate.
Heat oil in a small pan. First, add the mustard seeds. Let them pop first. Then add cumin and allow to crackle.
In bowl mix water, lemon juice and sugar and mix well. Add this mixture into tempering and boil for a minute.
Then pour this hot mixture over steamed Besan Dhokla Idli.
Enjoy with green chutney or sauce 🙂