This Whole Orange Red Cranberry Cake is loaded with orange flavor and it’s perfect for brunch or dessert. It is a sweet, moist tea time cake and it’s very, very orangey.
This delicious orange cake doesn’t get an orangey flavor from a little zest or from orange juice. The secret of this Orangey tasty cake is – The Whole Boiled Orange.
When orange is boil for that long, its bitterness slips into the water. You can use the whole orange with skin and all, for a moist and delicious result.
Whole Orange Red Cranberry Cake – Pressure Cooker Cake
Flour – 1 cup
( I used 50:50, Whole Wheat Flour: Maida or All Purpose Flour )
Malta Orange – 1
Dried Red Cranberry* – 1/2 cup
Dried Chopped Apricot – 1/2 cup
Powdered White Sugar – 1/2 cup
Cold milk – 1/4 cup
Refined Oil – 1/4 cup
Vanilla custard powder – 1 tbsp
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda or Eno – 1/2 tsp
A pinch of salt
- Boil whole orange (with skin) in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water (cook in low flame till one whistle ) or in a saucepan put 2 cups of water and orange. Boil it for 60 minutes covered in low flame.
- After boiling allow orange to cool down completely. Then remove its pulp and remove pith from the skin.
- Wet mixture: In a grinder mix sugar, oil, cold milk, boiled orange (with skin and pulp), vanilla custard powder and grind into a smooth batter.
- Toss soaked dried red cranberries and chopped dried apricot with 1 tbsp of whole wheat flour. Keep them aside.
- Dry mixture: Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda or Eno, salt. Add tossed cherry and keep it aside.
- Mix tossed dried red cranberries, chopped dried apricot with dry and wet mixtures. Mix them well.
- Put prepared batter into a greased pan and tab the cake pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Put cake pan into the preheated pressure cooker and bake it for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Soaked dried red cranberries in a half cup water for half an hour. Remove water and dry it completely. Then add into the flour mixture. By soaking it will slice easily.
- For best results use orange with thin skin.
- “Malta” orange is perfect for this cake.
- You can use 1 cup of whole wheat flour too.
- Don’t reduce the quality of sugar otherwise, the cake will taste bitter.
- Baking time may vary.
- If baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 1 hour 10 minutes. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use the baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( overbake ) the cake. So use pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
How to Bake In A Pressure Cooker?
- Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes. Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand.
- Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
- Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid.
- Lower the flame after 2 minutes. Let it bake for 50 -60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes check cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the cake is done.
- If batter still sticks to knife then again bake for another 10 minutes. Do not open the lid immediately.
- Eggless Pressure Cooker Cake is ready.
Categories: Cooker Cake